Five Tough Riddles
These are some of the more difficult riddles in our collection.
There are just five here, with the solutions further down the
page. For more tough riddles, see the Riddles
and Puzzles index. Good luck!
1. What are the only English words with three consecutive
repeated letters. For example, sweet-toothed would be one (ee,tt,oo)
if it weren't for the hyphen.
2. A man is six feet tall, is a clerk at a butcher shop, and
wears size 11 shoes. What does he weigh?
3. 75% can be written as 3/4. How would 58 1/3% be written
as a fraction (when reduced to the lowest denominator)?
4. How can you arrange four ordinary wineglasses on an ordinary
table so that "foot" (center of the bottom of the stem)
of each is the same distance from all the others?
5. If measured from the center of the planet, which mountain
on Earth is the highest?
1. Bookkeeper and the related forms of the word, such as bookkeeping.
2. He weighs meat. (These word play riddles and jokes are
the toughest sometimes - especially for those who don't speak
English as their first language.)
3. 7/12. The easiest way to do this? 58 1/3% is 58.333.. out
of 100. Multiply both the denominator and numerator by three
to make them both whole numbers, and you have 175/300. Now just
4. Place the first three in an equilateral triangle so that
the foot of each is the same distance from the others as the
height of a wineglass. Then place the fourth wineglass in the
middle of the triangle, upside down.
Correction: A newsletter subscriber pointed out that this
isn't correct. The correct answer: Place the first three in an
equilateral triangle so that the foot of each is spaced approximately
1.1547 times the height of a wineglass from each other. the same
distance from Then place the fourth wineglass in the middle of
the triangle, upside down.
Further explanation: The 4 foots have to form a regular tetrahedron.
Therefore the areas of the triangles have to be the same.
Area of triangle = (1/2)*b*h
Area of equilateral triangle = 0.433*b^2
h = 1 (the height of 1 wineglass)
Therefore: 0.5*b*1 = 0.433*b^2
b = 1.1547 ( 1.1547 times the height of 1 wineglass)
5. Mount Chimborazo, in Ecuador. Everest is the highest above
sea level, but because of the way the Earth bulges at the center,
Chimborazo (6010 meters, or 20,600 feet above sea level) is the
highest when measured from the center of the planet. To put it
another way, it is the furthest out into space or the closest
to the sun (which was one of the reasons I climbed it).